Saturday 18 October 2014

I recently went to a book signing, that featured Veronica Roth and Tahereh Mafi, and it didn't go as planned.

I've been in love with the Divergent series since FOURever, and when I found out Veronica Roth and Tahereh Mafi were going to visit and do a book signing in my city,  I was like I HAVE TO GO! Only the first 200 people get a personalized signed book and get to meet the authors. So naturally I had to go! I went super early (at like 7am) to line up because I NEEDED to be one of the 200 people. I lined up for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours to get my book signed (because I had to wait for the store to open, then had to wait to buy my book, and a couple hours later, had to wait until after the interview to line up again for the book signing, and a lot more other stuff...) All I did that day was wait!

Anyways, my friend and I were waiting in line to get our books signed when she suddenly said OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so nervous; I can't do this! I don't know how to talk to them (Veronica Roth and Tahereh Mafi) and I'm gonna have a panic attack! And at the moment I was like you're being silly. Get your act together.

While waiting in line to get to the authors' table, I was like yeah! I got this! I thought I knew EXACTLY what to say and stuff; I'd ask them how they're doing, then we would have this awesome conversation about books and stuff, and everything would be grand!

Then it got to my turn, and I was like Omg! Veronica Roth is right in front of me! And all I could think was this is crazy! This isn't real. I walked up to their table, and Veronica Roth said hi to me and I just lost it! I was at a loss for words; I was absolutely dumbfounded by their presence. I thought I was going to cry or something, but didn't have any tears. I couldn't remember how to talk; my stomach dropped, my heartbeat leaped up my throat; and I just stared at her like huh? What is air? And they both stared at me expectantly, and all I could muster out of my mouth was a simple hey. Then luckily they look down at my books to sign them, and I could finally pull myself together enough to tell Veronica her book is amazing. I've never actually read any of Tahereh's books, but... Anyhow, like the stupid person I am, I told Tahereh I haven't read any of her books; and she was probably thinking then why are you here? Okay, she probably wasn't thinking that, but still... Then they said thanks for coming and I said thanks, and that was my whole amazing conversation with the authors. They probably think I'm the stupidest person ever...

It's not even that big of a deal, it's not like they'll actually remember me or something. But the way I see it, I made a fool out of myself! 

I was perfectly fine until my friend told me she was nervous, because then I got nervous. Everything went downhill from there. I have never, in my life, been so at loss for words, I didn't even know what to do with myself. That experience was so embarrassing, but at least they signed my books!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.