Tuesday 24 March 2015

Making a fool of myself

It should come as no surprise to you that I make a fool of myself every single day. We all do. I think that we should all learn to laugh about it and move on, rather than feel embarrassed and ashamed for being silly or stupid every once in awhile. I've finally learned to just go with it, and learned to laugh at myself every time I do something cringey. I'm not gonna lie, I still feel really stupid when I make a fool of myself, but the only way to get through it is to laugh about it (not like crazily and not for too long). Just laugh about it and move on. And no one will remember that stupid thing you did 3 days ago or whatever.

If you find it difficult to laugh at yourself when something stupid happens, maybe I can help. I'll share some of my embarrassingly stupid stories to make you feel better. Yeah?

So just the other day, my family and I went down to the U.S. On the way back, we were waiting in line to cross the border, and my brother and I were high on boredom and were acting silly. Before that, we went to Olive Garden for lunch and we got this sticker sheet thing. So back to the car... My brother and I were putting stickers everywhere: on our hands and shirts (just like when we were little). So I suddenly turned to my brother and was like Hey! You want a sticker? Sticker?? in a wild, crazed, frantic voice. And I guess I must have looked the way I sounded because the guy in the car  beside ours (who I think was about my age, which makes everything even more embarrassing and funny) looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed together and he looked utterly confused and shocked. His face was like what the hell am I looking at right now? And then that guy's car went forward, leaving me shocked, frozen, and embarrassed. 2 seconds later, I was laughing like a maniac. The only thing that made the situation less humiliating was me laughing at myself. But ugh... That guy now thinks I'm crazy and messed up... Not that I'll ever see him again. But my pride and dignity is ruined just a little.

At least once a week, I will trip or slip in front of a million people. Okay, more like a couple people, but with that kind of mortification it might as well be a million. Everyday I'm late for school. Or almost late. I get to class like a minute before it starts. So as I enter the school every morning, I am speed walking and racing down the halls like a mad person. I come in from one end of the school, and my first class in on the complete opposite end. Sometimes it rains when I walk to school, so my shoes are wet, the floor is wet and everything's a mess. As I'm walking at lightning speed down the halls, I am always on the verge of slipping. And when I sprint to my class, I'm tripping my way up the stairs. I'm a complete mess every morning. People at school probably think I don't know how to walk properly. Though it is absolutely cringe worthy, every time I think about it, it's so funny. I can't even imagine what the people in front or behind me see when I trip or slip. And how do they not flat out laugh at me?

Besides tripping and slipping, another thing that happens on a daily basis is hitting myself. I'm always hitting my hip and legs on table edges, hitting my head on the locker ledges, stubbing my fingers on doorways and car doors, and injuring myself left and right. This one time I slammed my head against the door frame because I was trying to look into my room. I don't understand how I could have possibly hit my head the way I did. I walked out of my room and thought I forgot something, so I turned back to check and see if what I forgot was in my room. When I turned around, I was standing right beside one side of the door frame, so there was nowhere for me to go. I was literally an inch away from the frame. So I stuck my head into my room, and realized the thing I needed wasn't there. I was going to swing my head back out, but I was so close to the door that there was no room for my head to swing out in a semicircular motion. I ended up smacking my head on the edge of the door frame. I don't know why I didn't swing my head the other way, where there was so much more room. Instead I swung my head into the frame. Luckily, no one was there to witness that act of stupidity, but still, I was embarrassed. I dropped to the floor and started laughing like crazy.

So the lesson of this post: have a little laugh at yourself when something humiliating happens, it will make the embarrassment more bearable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.